BONENT adheres to the premise that certification not only promotes excellence in the quality of care of the nephrology patient, it ensures safe, competent practitioners in nephrology nursing and technology.
Initial certification is the result of having successfully passed the BONENT certification examination.
How Often Must You Renew?
Recertification is required every four years. Documentation is due within 30 days of your certification expiration date.
Faxed Recertification Applications or booklets will NOT be accepted.
It takes 4 weeks to process a recertification application after it is received. After approval, you will receive a new BONENT wallet card in the mail.
A 30-day grace period will be allowed after the certification renewal date expires before the candidate’s certification is considered lapsed. Lapsed candidates have two options:
How to Recertify
Choose 1 Recertification Option:
- Obtain 40 Contact Hours:
You must get at least 40 contact hours during the last 4 years.
- At least 30 out of the 40 contact hours must qualify for Group A (Nephrology-based programs - Seminars, Webinars, Home Study & BONENT Approved CE Programs).
- The balance can be in Group B (General Health).
- To use this option, check the box next to “Yes” on the Recertification Application.
- Retake the Examination:
- A completed, signed and dated Recertification Application. Check the box next to “I wish to recertify by taking the BONENT exam”.
- A completed signed and dated exam application.
- Payment for Annual Fee(s) and the exam fee. If you pass the exam, you will receive a new BONENT wallet card in the mail.
- Use Your One-time Waiver:
- The one-time waiver allows you to automatically recertify without having to accumulate 40 contact hours.
- This option can only be used once in a lifetime.
- To use this option, check the box next to “I wish to use my one-time waiver” on the Recertification Application.
Formula for Calculating Contact Hours
- One contact hour = sixty (60) minutes of classroom instruction
- One semester credit = fifteen (15) contact hours
- One quarter credit = ten (10) contact hours
Make sure your Fees are paid:
Current Member: There is no fee to recertify. However, we cannot process your recertification application until all fees for previous years and the current year are paid in full.
Lapsed Certification: Your certification is Lapsed if it is 1-12 months after your certification expiration date and your recertification application has not been submitted or annual fees have not been paid:
- Pay the $100 Lapsed Certification Fee + any outstanding Annual Certification Fees.
Expired Certification: Your certification is Expired if it is 1 to 10 years after your certification expiration date:
- 2020 Certification Amnesty Program: You qualify if your Certification Expiration Date (as noted on your wallet card or in the BONENT database) is between January 1, 2010 and December 31, 2018.
- Pay the $200 Expired Certification Fee
- $65 Incomplete Recertification Fee: You will be charged the incomplete fee if you do not submit completed documentation.
- $80 Returned Check Fee: You will be charged the returned check fee if your check is returned/bounces.
Complete & Mail the Application Form:
Complete the Recertification Application and be sure that all of your fees have been paid. Faxed or photocopied recertification applications will NOT be accepted. Your paperwork will be reviewed to determine if it meets BONENT recertification criteria. When the process is completed, certification will be awarded for an additional four years and a wallet card will be issued to you.
Lapsed or Expired Certification
Click for more details.