The BONENT Certified Hemodialysis Water Specialist examination measures technical proficiency in certain skills and general areas of knowledge. The examination tests the following eight (7) major domains of practice and tasks performed in the scope of hemodialysis technology:
- Water Quality Standards (15%)
- Water Treatment Terminology and Acronyms (5%)
- Basic Water and Water Quality (15%)
- Risks & Hazards Associated with Inadequately Treated Water (15%)
- Water Purification Equipment (20%)
- Water System Performance and Monitoring (15%)
- Disinfection Strategies and Prevention Practices (15%)
The examination has a three-hour time limit and consists of 150 multiple-choice questions.
Nephrology technicians may receive certification in one or more of the following exams: Patient Care Technologist/Technician (CHT), Bio-Medical Technician (CHBT) or Water Specialist (CHWS).
For detailed information about exam eligibility, click here.