The BONENT Certified Hemodialysis Bio-Medical Technician examination measures technical proficiency in certain skills and general areas of knowledge. The examination tests the following eight (8) major domains of practice and tasks performed in the scope of hemodialysis technology:
- Medical Machine Maintenance (24%)
- Quality Assurance Performance Improvement (7%)
- Water Treatment System Management (30%)
- Concentrate System Management (11%)
- Reprocessing of Dialyzer (4%)
- Life-Safety and Physical Plant Maintenance (9%)
- Documentation Practices (7%)
- Professional Responsibilities (8%)
The examination has a three-hour time limit and consists of 150 multiple-choice questions.
Nephrology technicians may receive certification in one or more of the following exams: Patient Care Technologist/Technician (CHT), Bio-Medical Technician (CHBT) or Water Specialist (CHWS).
For detailed information about exam eligibility, click here.