The President or the Chair of the committee makes appointments to the committees. The term of membership is one year, but individuals may be reappointed for successive terms. Committees consist of at least three members of BONENT, one of whom shall be from the Board of Directors. To express interest in a particular committee, click here to contact the BONENT Executive Office in Rockville, MD, or phone us at (202) 462-1252.
BONENT bylaws specifically mention the following committee structures. However, the Board of Directors, by resolution, may provide for such other committees as it deems necessary, with functions as may be assigned to them.
- Assures BONENT bylaws reflect current practice; makes necessary change recommendation accordingly.
- Submits all bylaws changes to the Board of Directors at the Board of Directors meeting(s) to be voted on and ratified.
- Reviews and revises the bylaws on an annual basis, as needed.
- Notifies BONENT attorney when legal situations are brought to the attention of the Board of Directors.
Continuing Education Programs
- Promoting, coordinating, and evaluating the development of the organization’s continuing education initiatives and offerings.
- Assisting with the content experts throughout the organization, including the sections with development and presentation of continuing education offerings to facilitate members work as needed.
- Assist in the delivery of continuing education offerings through a variety of techniques and delivery mechanisms.
- Establish, maintain, and promote a comprehensive curriculum of continuing education offerings.
- The Continuing Education Committee shall consist of at least three (3) members of BONENT, one of whom shall be a member of the Board of Directors. The chair of this committee must be a registered nurse.
Credentials and Review
- The committee shall review at random the credentials of at least five percent of applicants seeking recertification to assure that such credentials are valid.
- The committee shall also review the credentials of potential proctors of BONENT exams prior to their acceptance.
- Research all grievances filed by members; mediate the dispute; and prepare recommendations to the Board of Directors for final decision.
- Review LPN exam applications.
- The committee shall have such other responsibilities as delegated by the Board of Directors.
- Works in tandem with the Exam Test Specialist to coordinate the annual revision of BONENT examination(s).
- Maintains and updates BONENT examinations to keep content consistent with current practices.
- Reviews and accepts designated deadlines and ensures that all examination revision committee members meet specified deadlines.
- Reports all delinquent and/or missing exam revisions to the BONENT President (or in her/his absence, the Vice President) within the time frame specified in the bylaws.
- Develops future projects as directed by the Board.
- Subcommittees are formed when a particular examination is under consideration.
- BONENT members may be invited to be part of the process as question writers and experts who review the product before it is used for certification.
- The Chairperson shall be the Treasurer of the Board of Directors.
- Members of the committee, other than the Chairperson, shall be appointed by the President.
- The committee shall be responsible for the development of short and long-term financial goals and objectives of BONENT, including the continuing development of fund raising campaigns to enhance and secure the revenue of BONENT.
- Review host forms.
- Approves and maintains a list of sites for BONENT examinations throughout the United States and elsewhere in the world.
- Ensures that sites and hosts meet BONENT core criteria.
- The Chair of the committee will be appointed by the President and will include the International Advisor and President.
- The committee is responsible for monitoring international affairs.
- Composition of the committee shall represent both nurses and technologists.
- The committee is responsible for monitoring federal and state legislation pertinent to the professional areas represented by BONENT membership, and shall report periodically to the Board of Directors on such legislation.
- Performs ongoing solicitation of funding from corporations, organizations and individuals to help support BONENT financial goals.
- Generates ideas for fund raising activities, researching and presenting those ideas to the Board of Directors for their discussion and approval.
- Maintaining contact with the current membership.
- Working with the Executive Office to analyze membership totals and identify trends;
- Working with the Executive Office on a member recruitment plan;
- Working with the Executive Office and the Regional Representatives to coordinate efforts for recruiting new exam applicants.
- Maintains a current organization chart of the Board of Directors, including Board member terms of office.
- Publishes Call for Nominations article in the Spring issue of Update newsletter.
- Maintains a list of potential candidates throughout the year for inclusion in the ballot of nominees.
- The committee shall nominate candidates for election to the Board of Directors. It shall endeavor to seek nominees representing each of the following five regions of the country: Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Northwest and Southwest.
- The committee shall also endeavor to seek nominees who (1) possess the necessary leadership qualities to conduct the business and affairs of BONENT in a fair, orderly and efficient manner; (2) have good organizational skills; (3) possess good verbal and written communication skills; (4) represent the organization in a positive and supportive manner at all times and in various situations; and (5) be otherwise qualified to serve as a Director as required in the association’s bylaws.
Policy and Procedures
- Reviews and updates the Policy and Procedure Manual on an annual basis to ensure that it reflects current practices.
- Adds new policies, as requested by Board members.
- Presents the Policy and Procedure Manual to the Board of Directors at the Board of Directors Meeting(s) for the purpose of review and ratification.
- The committee shall supervise and coordinate the publication of the BONENT Update.
- Solicits articles from the BONENT membership for publication in the Update.
- Responsible for publishing two articles a year in other nephrology journals (i.e., NNI, D&T, NKF, etc.).
- Reviews articles submitted to nephrology publications on behalf of the BONENT organization in an effort to circumvent duplication of efforts.
- Represent BONENT at renal meetings.
- Host 1 exam per year.
- Be a member in good standing.
- Inform the BONENT Board of any legislative changes as they relate to nephrology practice in their state or region which would impact certification in nephrology, especially as it relates to PCT licensure.
Scholarship/International Grants Committee
- Reviews the submissions prior to the fall board meeting and makes winner recommendations to the board.
- Performs on-going solicitation of funding from corporations, organizations and individuals to help support BONENT’s financial goals.
- Generates ideas for fundraising activities, researching those ideas and presenting the ideas to the Board of Directors for their discussion and approval.