Application & Deadlines
Candidates can chose between two exam methods by which to become BONENT certified:
Paper & Pencil Exam
Your original, signed application and examination fees (paid in full with application) are required to be received 45 days (60-day international examinations) before the exam date. Applications received after the deadline will NOT be accepted and will be returned, unprocessed.
Computer Based Testing (see locations list)
There is no deadline to submit your original, signed application and examination fees (paid in full with application).
Click here to download the exam application. After opening the document on your computer, you can enter information directly on to the application before printing it. But, all signatures must be original, handwritten in blue or black ink.
Faxed or photocopied applications will NOT be accepted.
Applications submitted without signed letters of reference, scholastic documentation (see #6 below), license or any other information left blank on the application will be assessed a $50 incomplete application fee.
If your name has changed since High School, you must indicate your previous name in the space provided on the application and provide court documentation (i.e. marriage certificate for each name change).
Exam confirmation letters will not be released to the candidate until receipt of all application requirements and fees. NO exceptions will be made.
- Complete ALL sections of the application. Please type or print legibly in ink.
- Request your immediate supervisor's signature as verification of your employment.
- Include two signed letters of recommendation (MUST include: 1. Verify length of employment. 2. Character 3. Job duties.) One from your immediate supervisor (the same person who signs this application), the second from a professional in nephrology (physician, technician, nurse, or dietician).
- Sign and date the application form.
- Certified Hemodialysis or Peritoneal Dialysis Nurse examinations: include a photocopy of your current, valid nurse's license with the expiration date clearly visible.
- Certified Hemodialysis Technologist/Technician: include photocopy of your high school diploma or official high school transcript (with principal's signature and/or school seal) and/ or documentation of completion of post-high school education if applicable. If your name has changed since high school, you must indicate your previous name in the space provided on the application and provide court documentation (i.e. marriage certificate or name change application) for each name change.
- LVN/LPN applicants must provide written verification of two years of experience in ESRD in a nursing capacity.
- Mail the completed original, signed application form, other materials as required and the examination fee listed below to the BONENT Executive Office:
BONENT Executive Office
100 South Washington Street
Rockville, MD 20850
Phone: (202) 462-1252
Faxed or photocopied applications are NOT accepted.
- If you choose to pay by MasterCard or VISA, please complete the credit card payment information in the space provided on the application.
- Applications for PPE must be received no later than the published deadline date. Late applications will be returned unprocessed. Indicate the date and site of the examination that you wish to appear.
A Computer Based Testing (CBT)
A Paper & Pencil Exam (PPE) Exam Schedule
Contact the BONENT Executive Office at (202) 462-1252 if you have questions about the application process or the application deadline.
Included check, money order, or credit card information
Indicated test date and location for PPE only
Indicated examination type
Included photocopy of high school diploma, nurse's license or equivalent, marriage certificate or
court documents proving name change (if applicable)
Included two signed letters of reference that verify experience [see #3 above]
Included the number of years of experience
Signature of applicant and supervisor
Official Board policy states that the BONENT Executive Office:
- Can only speak to exam applicants regarding application details.
- May not discuss any application with managers, supervisors educators, co-workers or family members.